trešdiena, 2018. gada 11. aprīlis

FIRST SOLO TRIP - MY EXPERIENCE


My entire life I've been traveling with my parents or relatives, with my classmates and teachers or just friends. But I've never actually traveled solo. Up until January 2018. And I love traveling with other people, it's so much fun, but what to do if you have no one who wants to go with you? 

Over the last couple of years I've had so many opportunities to travel somewhere (mostly due to cheap plane tickets), but I never actually went because I was scared to travel alone. Needless to say, when I finally got my plane ticket from Riga to London, I was more scared than ever. I was in London for 5 days, and on my first day my lovely friend Liene came from Northampton and spent a day with me, and then I was a solo traveler for the next 4 days. So let me tell you about my experience. 




  • Stress. One day before my trips I usually get nervous and anxious. My stomach starts to hurt, but in the morning, when the journey actually begins, I calm down. This time, on the other hand, I was stressing the whole time until I got on the plane. It was my first time flying completely alone, and, to be honest, I was scared. But once I found my seat, it was gone. I was so excited and happy I actually did it, because now I know you can travel alone as a young girl and be just fine!
  • Hostels. This was not only my first solo trip, it was also my first stay in a hostel. You probably know London is quite expensive, and as a student, I don't have a lot of money to splurge. So great opportunity is staying in a hostel. Before going I watched a ton of youtube videos to prepare myself (because I booked a bed in a mixed-dorm room). I got a padlock (very important for hostels, by the way, as not all hostels have lockers with a key). Anyway, I wasn't that scared to stay in a hostel. Yes, bad things can happen, but no one even TALKED to me for more than 2 minutes during my entire stay! 

Mixed dorm-room where I stayed. It's Safestay London Kensington 

  • Taking my own photos. As I said, the first day I spent with my friend, and we took a lot of photos. Luckily, I had a selfy-stick with me (even though I don't love those selfy stick photos). I actually asked a stranger to take my photo once - it was on the London Eye, and, oh goodness, was it awkward! I couldn't model the way I wanted (because I'm too shy), and I really need to practice taking my own photos for future trips. 

Trafalgar Square


Sky Garden, London





  • Safety. This is probably the reason why so many people are scared to travel alone. When I booked my flight, I was scared to tell my parents I'm going alone, I was nervous they won't let me, I thought they would say it's too dangerous and blablabla. Luckily, they didn't, because they know I will be careful and since I don't drink alcohol, I don't get into weird situations. :D So from my own experience I can tell you it's not that dangerous. Anything could happen to you while you are in your own country, even when you're at home! In fact, I never felt unsafe during my trip, and I'll definitely go solo traveling again. 


Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru